I spent today, not in the American traditional sense of Memorial Day of reflecting on the military and those who have served and who have fallen to allow me to live in a nation with the freedoms that I do. And don't get me wrong, I am very grateful for the life that I do have.
I just didn't spend today with much thought on that at all. I woke up late relaxed (not unusual for a holiday). Ended up going over to my friends' house for a bbq (myself and another couple were the ones who showed up). I have known the hosting couple (Jacob and Samantha) for something like 10 or so years now but until 2 weeks ago I hadn't seen them in about 5 years. This has happened to me a lot lately running into and reconnecting with people years after I last saw them. Was a great night, we all had lots to share about "coincidences" (not so coincidental). It was a great time of fellowship, great food and conversation. (And now I have like 10 new movies to add to my Netflix list, ha)
Just again and again I'm reminded of where I've been. Who I've been. Who I want to be who I don't want to be again.
Another excerpt from the book I'm reading "The Irresistible Revolution" by Shawn Claiborne...
"I've met a lot of Christians who say, "If people knew about all of my struggles and weaknesses, they would never want to be a Christian." I think just the opposite is true. If people really knew what idiots we are, in all our brokeness and vulnerability, they would know that they can give this thing a shot too. Christianity is for sick people. Rich Mullins used to say, "Whenever people say, 'Christians are hypocrites,' I say, 'Duh, we are hypocrites, weaklings in need of God and each other.'" We know that we cannot do life alone, and the good news is that we don't have to. We are created for community."
The sermon Sunday hit on being too Christian for the pagans and too pagan for the Christians... again... another place where balance is key. I get it God... you want me to keep searching for balance.
After reading and cleaning part of my room (or the sty known as my room) I found what I was looking for so that gave me the justification to take a break and do something other distraction.
Shawn sent me the chords for my new theme song, so I pulled out my guitar and played it over and over. It has been at least 6 months since I played my guitar, needless to say my fingers are sore. I sorta have the song down now, but then I just felt it in my heart to sing and keep praising God. I haven't had that urge come from my heart in a long time. I played the songs that I could from memory, singing them at the top of my lungs. I'm glad my place is well insulated so that my neighbors didn't suffer from my out of tune guitar (the battery in my tuner is dead and I'm fresh out of 9 volt batteries) and off key singing. But it didn't matter I sang anyway and had an awesome time just me and Jesus. (well, the puppies were here too, but they just kept chewin' away at their bones and left me be.)
So... that's a praise, I feel like I had a breakthrough with my heart and being able to worship God.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment