"One of the best things communities like ours do is carve out a space for people to discern and redefine their vocations. Vocation comes from the same root as voice, denoting the hearing of a divine call."
"Beyond knowing that God has a purpose for our lives, most of us (especially non-Catholics) spend little energy seeking our vocation, especially in light of how the needs and sufferings of our neighbors might inform how we use our gifts for divine purposes. There are plenty of people who are miserable in their jobs, for they have not listened to God's call."
"...many Christians who are not fulfilled in their spiritual lives because they have no sense of their gifts or purpose, and they just run to the mission field to save souls rather than transform lives and communities using their gifts and those of the people they live among. Both lead to emptiness and burnout."
These three excerpts all come from pg 138 of Shane Claiborne's book "The Irresistable Revolution - Living as an ordinary radical"
These paragraphs stood out to me today, because it's where I feel I am at. I switched away from being an accountant to being a massage therapist, because that is where God was leading me. That I am sure of. Now the balance of those two professions is the question. And how do I use my gifts and how are my gifts interwoven with my vocations? I know the gift of discernment is tied to what makes me gifted as a therapist.
I know I am creating more questions than answers. And I know there is not going to be a simple answer, and its going to take time. But I took almost a year off, turned myself off from questioning, asking, seeking. Question is, now what?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment