Watching the show "Wife Swap" today I was saddened by the "Christians" they were showing. Super uber-religious Bible thumping Christian family swapped with a very New Age hippy family.
The hippy wife was very accommodating with the new family and was open to all that they had to offer. I was appalled at the way the religious woman's friends who came over to visit and meet the hippy wife. They bombarded her and didn't let her answer when they started along the religious questions, they mocked her when hippy wife said she believed in God, she had grown up catholic etc... Attacking her, rather than getting to know her and finding out where she was coming from. Ugh, I probably can't explain it as well as I would like here, but to put it plain and simple I can see why the world thinks Christains are judgemental jerks that don't care about anything but their way of life.
Don't get me wrong, I don't believe in astrology, or that its ok to worship spirits and having solstice parties etc. But I also don't think we should completely reject the people that practice those things because I don't agree with their lifestyle.
And on the other side, the uber-religious lady was in the hippy home and the whole time she only wanted to preach and share her views, but would not allow the family to share their life, their views. She said she was being tested and very uncomfortable, but would not acknowledge that the family was bending over backwards to accommodate her. How can one only want to share views but be completely and totally close-minded as to not even listen to another viewpoint.
How is that approachable? Why on EARTH would someone want to know about Jesus and the relationship that one can have with Him, if those representing Him don't care about others. I remember Josh talking awhile back about being too pagan for Christians, and too Christian for pagans, and I hope I'm in that balance. Never would I want to be seen as a close-minded Christian.
I know its cliche, but people don't care how much you know, until they know how much you care. That rings extremely true after that show.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Wow, I agree with you 100% and I don't often get to write that! Paul was "all things to all men" not meaning he took on their beliefs, but that he approached them from their perspective in life. I don't know if it depends on your level of maturity to be able to do that or what, but it is actually counter-productive to do it otherwise.
Post a Comment